Friday, October 18, 2013

Great American Beer Festival

Just wanted to share a few photos and happenings from my Great American Beer Festival experience.  First off this is an epic event that draws 50,000 people over 4 events in at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver, CO.  With that many people you'd think that this would be overwhelming and you'd never have a chance to get a brew, but that is not the case at all.  Over 600 breweries attended the fest this year featuring 2000+ brews.  I have no idea how many I tried, but I know my glass was rarely empty.  Here are a few of my favorites from last weekend:

1.  Throwback Brewery - Spicy Bohemian (Jalapeno Pilsner) - North Hampton, NH

This one takes top the slot for me.  Personally, I'm not really into spicy foods and I've always held a little intimidation for chile beers.  This beer assuaged all fears and provided the inspiration for a jalapeno wheat beer this winter (hopefully I'll be brewing this in early November).



2.  Dock Street Brewpub - That's What She Said Chocolate Saison - Philadelphia, PA

The name is awesome, and the beer was delish.

3.  Elysian Brewing Company - Dark O' the Moon (Pumpkin Stout) - Seattle, WA

Great fall and winter spices to accompany the thick stout ale.

4.  Heretic Brewing Company - Chocolate Hazelnut Porter - Fairfield, CA

I once tried to brew this style (possibly the same recipe from Jamil's book, since Jamil owns this brewery) and failed miserably due to "over-hazelnutting".  This batch was blended and balanced perfectly between the porter flavors and hazelnut.

Other items of note from my 2 days and 9+ hours at this event:

Best T-Shirts go to the Ex-communicated Mormon Drinking Team (thank you to the woman in this photo for letting this photo happen!)



Weird photo.  There's a man licking someone with a horse head here.  It is what it is.  Don't judge me for taking time to capture this moment.



Silent Disco!!!



Lastly, if Southwest ever prints a security document for you just know you're in for a long day.  It basically means you're not getting on your flight.  I ended up flying home into San Francisco (instead of Oakland), took BART to Oakland, a cab to the Oakland Airport, and finally drove home.  Southwest that was LAME.


No comments:

Post a Comment