Saturday, July 19, 2014

Simcoe Session IPA

Here is recipe #2 in the super official Wedding Series.  I created this recipe on my own with the inspiration of a summer wedding in Oregon.  I wanted something lighter for the summer months, but strong in hops.  The piney aromas and flavors of the Simcoe seemed to be perfect match.  If I were to do this batch again, I would "spice" up the grain bill a bit (literally).  The beer is nicely done, but needs a little something.  I'm think replacing some of the base malt (about 1 or 2 lbs) with either a rye or vienna malt would bring out a little more character.

BJCP Style Category: 14B American IPA

Batch Size: 5.50 gallons

ABV: 4.5%
IBU's: 73

Grains:

10.00 lbs US 2-Row Pale Malt 
0.60 lbs Crystal 40L


Hops:

0.50 oz Simcoe - First Wort Hops (FWH, see below for instructions)

0.50 oz Simcoe - 45 minutes remaining in the boil
1.00 oz Simcoe - 20 minutes remaining in the boil
1.00 oz Simcoe - 1 minutes remaining in the boil
2.00 oz Simcoe - Dry hop for 14 days in the secondary

Yeast:

California Ale Yeast - White Labs WLP001 (also consider using WLP005, a british ale yeast.  I've used this with success for IPA's in the past)

Mash the grains at 151 deg F (strike temp 170 deg F) for 60 minutes using 2.9 gallons of water.

Prior to sparging you'll need to prepare your first wort hops.  I use my hop sock and tie it off to my kettle like I would during the boil.  During the sparge I like to filter my wort run off directly through the hop sock, so I put my tubing directly through the top of the sock.  

Sparge at 170 deg F using 5.3 gallons of water.  Boil for 1 hour and add the hops per the recipe.  

Pretty simple recipe, but there is some room for improvement.  Looking forward to trying to batch again soon in the next few months.  Still planning to tap this batch at the wedding.

Look for the final recipe in the wedding series later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment